4 February 2014

Travelling, and it's lessons

Travelling taught me so much about life. About myself. Who I want to be. And what I want for the rest of my years. 
I left Australia two weeks after my 19th birthday. It was my first solo (kind of, I was with a friend) trip overseas and literally a dream coming true. It was a goodbye that no one was sure if it was to be 3 months or 2 years. 
I boarded the much anticipated flight to London.
And it begun.
Here I am, exactly 6 months later, living in England and loving it multitudes.
Which has now turned into goodbye that I feel could be a few years.

There have been mistakes, missed buses, lost phones but there have been memories, laughs, dancing and happiness.
When travelling with only the necessities your days become simpler and definitely more carefree. You leave behind all those journals you've half started, random coin collections, the convenience of a car, the commitment and 'security' of a job.


It wasn't until I was waking each day from a night spent making new friends (or doing washing at 3am), after an hour of sleep in a foreign bed, just to get the free breakfast at the hostel or walking the lengths of cities to save on trains and buses, that I felt complete contentment in my life.
It wasn't until I spent my days alone in countries where I can't speak the language and nights on buses knowing the sunrise I'll see in the morning will be a different country, that I realised the blessing that is my life.

The most terrifying part of all of it was settling back down, this time in England, getting a job and knowing that I have committed once again. Still adventuring and travelling in bursts, but not a nomad again yet.


"The less I needed, the better I felt."- Charles Bukowski 



2 comments: