10 September 2015

"Do you miss Australia?"

Untitled
Bundeena Sunset, New South Wales
A question I'm frequently asked and one that I still can never confidently answer. 

In short, yes. I do miss it. A lot. 
In long, well yes I still do miss it but you see, I miss a lot of places. All the time.

I miss Germany and the voice of the train announcer before each stop. I miss walking around London for the first time and the smell of the tube. I miss waking up to the sun and waves in Byron Bay. I miss Portugal and the living room in my Lisbon hostel. I miss Scotland and the pebbled streets and accents.

I'm always missing something, I've left my heart in so many places that missing somewhere I'm not seems to be second nature. But is it that I miss the places, or is it the moments?

I miss the feeling I had when I was there. I miss the memories and I miss what was and what could be. The ruby red stain on my tongue from too much wine. The warmth of a foreign bed. The chill of the autumn air. The taste of the Indian food in a German city. 

Travelling is the best thing I've ever done. I've learnt lessons no teacher, friend or coffee shop hottie could ever teach. I've seen things I never thought I would, and never thought I should, but it makes me who I am today. I have never so confidently embraced myself as I do today, my eyes have been opened to the blessings of everyday life and I'm not the same person I was before I saw the other side of the world.

But maybe that's what it's taken for me to realise I miss Australia. I was always grateful for the country I lived in and the beaches in which I swam, but it's not until it's gone that it's missed. As much as you appreciate, love and cherish something it can still be missed. But missing does not mean you need to be there. Or right now anyway.
There is so much more in this world to be appreciated that it'd silly to go back just because it's missed right now.

I miss Australia and the accents (ah, so much). I miss the simplicity, freedom and comfort of the familiarity. I miss the summer (sometimes). I miss warmth of the sparkling crystal clear ocean. 

I miss Australia. With all of my heart. But I miss most places.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you, i hear you loud and clear. Missing something doesn't mean that what you have right now is not fulfilling enough, it is just a sign of appreciation of what you had before. I feel sometimes that I want to go back to certain places, but then I realise that sometimes the past deserves to be the past and I shouldn't try to regenerate it. By preserving the memory and keeping it untouched, I will always have a piece of momentary perfection kept in my heart.

    The quote you posted in the previous blog post is my state of mind scribbled down in words <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, so much so. We need to keep living now and into the future, there's so much more to see, adventure and experience and going back wouldn't be the same anyway. How great is that quote, a friend wrote it and I was just like, yes, that's me! x

      Delete